Exercise bikes are popular equipment in various commercial and home gyms. They are great for cardio exercises, and at times useful when trying to build some muscle. There are many types of exercise bikes. Among the most popular types is the recumbent bikes. The recumbent bike puts you in a laid-back sitting position, such that there is no pressure on your back. Recumbent bikes are a great option for persons with back problems. Recumbent bikes can help you exercise your arms, legs, and abs.
There are many types of recumbent bikes available in the market. Getting the best recumbent bike might not be very straightforward. There are not many recumbent bike reviews available either. You might be wondering, what is the best recumbent bike to buy? Wonder no more! This is a review of various recumbent bikes that we established to be effective. The review will highlight the respective features of the recumbent bikes, as well as their pros and cons. After going through the review, you should be able to get the best recumbent bike for the money you have. First, below is a quick snippet of the various recumbent bikes featured in the review.
Best Recumbent Bike 2018
- Schwinn 270 MY17 Recumbent Bike – This recumbent bike has a 17-pound magnetic tension system and 25 resistance settings.
- Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike – This recumbent bike has 25 resistance settings and comes with 29 pre-installed programs
- Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike features 22 pre-installed programs and acoustic chambered speakers.
- Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike is foldable and features a quiet v-belt double-drive transmission system.
- NordicTrack Commercial Vr21 Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike comes with a 5-inch backlit LCD display panel and a 20-pound effective inertia-enhanced flywheel.
- Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike features an eight-level magnetic tension, and it is fitted with a large LCD display panel.
- Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709 – this recumbent bike has 8 resistance levels, and It is fitted with an LCD computer screen.
- Exerpeutic 4000 Magnetic Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike has 12 workout programs and has a 24-level magnetic tension system
- Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Bike NS-716R – this recumbent bike has and an LCD computer display and 8 tension levels.
- Diamondback 510SR Fitness Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike has 20 pre-installed workout programs and has 16 levels of resistance
- Exerpeutic 1000 Recumbent Bike – this recumbent bike has a step-through design and a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- Exerpeutic GOLD 525XLR Recumbent Bike – this is a foldable semi-recumbent bike with 8 levels of resistance and a weight capacity of 400 lbs.
The Schwinn 270 recumbent bike is designed for home-use. It has a well-reclined seat and comes with a wide range of resistance settings that makes it a versatile recumbent bike.
- It has a 17-pound magnetic resistance system
- It has 25 resistance settings
- It comes with 29 pre-installed workout programs
- It features Bluetooth connectivity
- The bike has very smooth pedaling
- It is very versatile
- It comes with a well cushioned seat
- The pre-installed programs are very resourceful
- It is a bit small. Tall people, above 6 ft, might find it difficult to use
- The calorie burn statistics are inaccurate
- Its pulse reader is unreliable. You would have to separately buy a heart rate monitor
The Schwinn 270 MY17 recumbent does not fall short of much as far a great recumbent bike is concerned. The bike delivers ample convenience and versatility. It is certainly a great option for anyone looking for a recumbent bike. It is the best recumbent bike for short persons.
We have yet another Schwinn 270 recumbent bike. This bike is almost similar to the one above, only that uses a weighted flywheel resistance system.
- It comes with 29 pre-installed programs
- It has a weighted flywheel resistance system
- It features Bluetooth connectivity
- It has 25 resistance levels
- The bike can be used by many people
- It has adequate seat padding
- It features very smooth pedaling
- The pre-installed programs are very convenient
- The Bike’s LCD screen is not adjustable, you can’t watch anything else as you ride
- The calories burnt meter is not accurate
This Schwinn 270 recumbent bike will certainly help achieve your fitness goals. It does have some misgivings, but its deliverables are quite impressive. It is arguably the best recumbent bike for bad knees.
The Nautilus R614 recumbent bike is a great solution for your home workout needs. It will deliver the essentials that every physical health enthusiast is looking for. Check out the great features.
- The bike has an LCD display
- It is fitted with a USB port and data export
- It comes with 22 pre-installed programs
- It has acoustic chambered speakers
- The bike does not make any noise while you are riding
- It has a great seat design
- It is versatile. The resistance levels are adjustable
- It is quite easy to assemble
- It does not have an up-down lever for the seat
- The fan tends to fail in very hot weather
- The pedals are a bit small for someone with large feet
The Nautilus R614 does not seem to fall short of much. The pros far outweigh the cons. It will certainly make your workouts something to look forward to. It is the best recumbent bike for heavy persons.
Exerpeutic is one of the biggest brands of recumbent exercise bikes. The Exerpeutic 400XL bike is a simple-build bike, that is meant to economize on space. It comes with a folding design.
- The bike is foldable
- It features a quiet v-belt double-drive transmission system
- It has a precision-balanced flywheel
- It is fitted with an LCD display panel
- The foldable design makes it easy to store
- It has a well-cushioned seat and backrest
- The LCD panel conveniently displays your speed, burnt calories, heart rate and other parameters
- It has an 8-level adjustable resistance system that makes it versatile
- It does not have much recumbence. It is semi-recumbent
- The 8 levels of resistance are little as compared to other bikes
The Exerpeutic 400XL recumbent bike is a fantastic bike for home-use. It is the ideal bike if you don’t have much space to place it. It will certainly go a country mile in helping you with your fitness goals.
The NordicTrack Vr21 recumbent bike is almost the ultimate recumbent bike. It is a commercial grade recumbent bike that is ideal for a commercial gym space. Check out its incredible features below. The best recumbent bike reviews have it as a top-rated recumbent bike.
- It features a 20-pound effective inertia-enhanced flywheel
- It comes with a 5-inch backlit LCD display panel
- It comes with 32 workout apps
- It is fitted with an auto breeze workout fan
- The workout apps are very helpful
- The recumbent bike has a nice back-meshed chair
- The LCD displays your workout parameters. That’s very convenient
- The bike’s resistance is adjustable. This makes it versatile
- The bike is a bit costly
- The fan and the flywheel motions are noisy
The NordicTrack Vr21 recumbent bike is a top of the range exercise bike. It delivers ample comfort and user convenience. This is the kind of bike you get if you want to set up a commercial gym. It is the best recumbent bike with arm workout.
We have yet another masterpiece from Exerpeutic. The Exerpeutic 900XL is a large exercise bike that is ideal for intense workouts. The bike has high but adjustable resistance levels that are designed to help you push yourself to the limits.
- The seat height is adjustable
- It features an eight-level magnetic tension
- It is fitted with a large LCD display panel
- It supports a maximum user weight of 300 pounds
- The bike delivers challenging cardiovascular workouts
- The seat is well-designed and cushioned to minimize pressure on your back
- The LCD display panel is very convenient
- The adjustable tension levels make it very versatile
- The bike is a bit costly
- The calorie burnt meter is inaccurate
The Exerpeutic 900XL is a top-rated recumbent bike. It is without a doubt one of the best exercise recumbent bikes in the review. You will certainly love having this recumbent bike in your exercising space.
The Marcy Recumbent ME-709 is yet another impressive recumbent bike. The bike has a step-through design that allows you more mobility while you are training. The bike features a heavy-duty and very durable build.
- The bike has 8 resistance levels
- It is fitted with an LCD computer screen
- It features counter-balanced pedals
- It has a 14-gauge steel tubing frame
- The pedals have very smooth motion
- The bike has very robust and durable build
- It has a very comfortable padded seat
- The LCD screen is very convenient
- The bike is rather noisy while in operation
- It does not have high tension settings
The Marcy Recumbent ME-709 is a fantastic exercise bike. It is a great option for cardio exercise. It may not be the best option for high intensity training though! It does not have high tension levels.
The Exerpeutic 4000 is yet another top of the range recumbent exercise bike. The bike comes with very advanced controls and a strong magnetic resistance system. It is the best recumbent bike for back problems.
- It features 12 workout programs
- It has a 24-level magnetic tension system
- It has a weight capacity of 325 lbs.
- It comes with a modeled meshed and contoured backrest
- The bike has a large air soft seat that very comfy
- The workout programs are very convenient
- The meshed backrest ensures ample air circulation
- It has a wide variety of magnetic tension levels hence convenient
- The backrest is rigid. Only the seating surface is adjustable.
The Exerpeutic 4000 is designed to offer maximum comfort, while delivers a good level of resistance for an intense workout. You will certainly love working out with this recumbent bike. It has all the essentials of a great bike. It is arguably the best recumbent bike for seniors.
The Marcy NS-716R is yet another top rated recumbent bike, with amazing user convenience. The bike has a magnetic resistance system that has adjustable resistance levels. It is one of the best stationary recumbent bikes.
- It has an LCD computer display
- It features 8 tension levels
- It comes with base wheels
- It features a fully adjustable seat
- The bike has a well-designed and padded seat
- The base wheels make it easy to move around
- It has a robust and durable construction
- The LCD conveniently displays digitally tracked parameters
- The seat gets uncomfortable after a while
- The seat can’t adjust enough for short persons
- The cup holder does not fit a standard size cup
The Marcy NS-716R is a great recumbent bike for home use. You can easily move it around. It does not have much tension though! It is a great bike for cardio exercises. It is arguably the best recumbent bike for home use. It is the best recumbent bike for tall persons.
The Diamondback 510SR is very close to the ultimate recumbent exercise bike. The bike delivers high levels of tensions. It comes with a myriad of impressive features too. Check out its great features below.
- The bike has 20 pre-installed workout programs
- It has 16 levels of resistance
- It has an LCD display with real-time feedback
- It is fitted with an adjustable cooling fan
- The bike has a very comfy seat
- It has high resistance levels
- It has a wide variety of resistance levels
- The real time feedback on the LCD is very convenient
- The seat is not easily adjustable. It tends to rock sideways while pedaling too
The Diamondback 510SR is an incredible exercise bike, that is ideal for high-intensity workouts. The bike has great convenience features too. It is a great fitness bike, that can even help you build some muscle if that is what you are looking for.
The Exerpeutic bikes seem to have dominated the review. That’s no surprise. They are arguably the best brand of exercise bikes. The Exerpeutic 1000 does not fall any short as compared to the other bikes. It has all the incredible features of Exerpeutic recumbent bikes.
- The bike features a step through design
- It has a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- It has 8 levels of tension
- It is fitted with a large LCD display panel
- The bike has a smooth pedaling motion
- It has a well-designed fully adjustable seat
- It has very quiet operations
- The LCD screen conveniently displays your work-out parameters
- The bike’s seat is not easily adjustable.
- It does not have high resistance levels
The Exerpeutic 1000 recumbent bike is a very convenient recumbent bike. It has all the essential deliverables of a great exercise bike. It is a great bike for cardio exercises. It is one of the best rated recumbent bikes.
We close off with yet another Exerpeutic recumbent bike. The Exerpeutic GOLD 525XLR is an incredible bike. It is a foldable bike that is great for home use. The bike comes with a string of other incredible features. Check out the features below.
- It has 400 lbs. weight capacity
- It has an 8-level magnetic tension control
- It has a semi-recumbent design
- It is foldable
- The bike economizes on space
- It has high resistance levels
- It comes with a large seat and backrest cushion
- It has an LCD computer display that makes it easy for you to monitor your workout parameters
- The bike is not fully recumbent. Someone with back problems might find it ineffective
- The foot straps on the pedals are too short
The Exerpeutic GOLD 525XLR seem a very resourceful home use bike. It is a great option for high-intensity workouts. You need to be in a good physical condition to seat on it though. The design of the seat does not make it comfy at all. It is one of the best home recumbent bikes.
Best Recumbent Bike 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
The reviews above are supposed to help you better understand what a good recumbent bike entails. Before you narrow down to any specific recumbent bike, you should consider a few factors. The factors include;
- Tension Levels
The recumbent bikes come with different resistance levels. You should choose one depending on the intensity of your workouts and physical fitness. If you need more cardio than body toning, you should go for lower resistance. If you are looking to build some muscle and endurance, high tension levels are desirable.
The adjustability of the bike you get determines how many people can use the bike. Obviously, if you are buying the bike for your home, more than one person will want to use it. The seat and tension levels need to be adjustable. That way everyone gets to set it to their most preferred positions and ride the bike.
Ultimately, the cost of the recumbent bike determines whether you are going to get it. Take time to compare the different recumbent bikes that are within your budget and find out which one delivers the most value. You should be able to get the best recumbent bike for the money you have. The bikes might have similar features but different prices too.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you narrow down to you best suited recumbent bike. Shopping for the best recumbent bikes should no longer be such a daunting task. It should be fun. Your workout routines should now be kicked up a notch higher.
- Best Water Bottles
- Best Swim Cap To Keep Hair Dry
- Best Sports Watches for Women
- Best Sports Watches for Men
- Best Smoothie Blenders
- Best Rowing Machines
- Best Kettlebells
- Best Headbands for Running
- Best Exercise Bikes
- Best Crossfit Jump Ropes
- Best Adjustable Dumbbells
- Best Stepper Machines
- Best Trampolines
- Best Whey Protein
- Best Home Gyms
- Best Inversion Tables